Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Asia-link Sketchwalk 2016 - The sketches

The inaugural Asia-link Sketchwalk 2016 finally took place in Bangkok, Thailand, from 24 Nov to 28 Nov 2016. Over 350 sketchers representing 12 nations met and sketched to their hearts' content. For many, it was a trip to meet old friends. For others, it was an experience like none other - meeting like-minded people who love sketching.  Never have I seen such fired-up sketchers before: meeting at night to paint after a day's worth of sketching, doodling each other whenever possible, sketching during talks and presentations, drawing food before consuming it (i.e. eating cold food), etc... what nerds. ;-) 

I remembered joining Urban Sketches Singapore in March 2012. That nudged me to go down the path I walk today - being a full time artist.  It was great seeing old faces after a 3 and a half year hiatus from the asian urban sketching scene. For those who do not know where I went, I left for Italy in April 2013 to study Traditional Art, specifically Natural Realism.  I am glad to be back in vibrant and bustling, yet warm and serene Asia. And I was absolutely glad to be a part of this historical event. May the sketchers forge true, deep and lasting relationships for many, many years to come. Not just on an event level, but on a much grander Asian perspective. Looking forward to doing many more things, unheard and unthought of between the 12 countries. 

Here are some of the highlights of my trip: 

Sketching commuters at Changi Airport Terminal 2, Singapore
Have I mentioned I love sketching crowds? 


Enjoying a cuppa on board Scoot's Dreamliner. 2 hours 10 mins to Bangkok only. 


Phad Thai at Thipsamai - a local favourite haunt.
Try their popular Phad Thai wrapped in an egg. They open from 5pm - 2am.
Queues get really long around 7pm to 9pm on weekdays. Forget about
going there on the weekends. :)
See time-lapse here:
 https://youtu.be/qheU2aWdt-E


Nestled in busy Bangkok is Vanilla Garden in the Ekamai area. It's a good  place to get away 
from the noise for a while. I'm at the Vanilla Bakeshop (next-door) for a cappuccino. 


Demi Concept is a food truck serving fabulous soft ice cream. They are parked right outside
Platinum Shopping Mall with other food trucks. I tried the green mocha and charcoal twist.
All ingredients are from Japan. 


El Chiringuito. I found this lovely shophouse in the chinatown area turned into an Air B&B with a bar.  
It looked so pretty online I had to go see it with my own eyes and paint it.


Kope Hya Tai Ke (โกปี๊เฮี๊ยะไถ่กี่) is a historical coffee shop right in front of Bangkok's Cityhall.  



Once Again Hostel is right around the cultural Bangkok area. If you love to experience art and culture more than shopping, this is a great location (for artists, photographers, writers, etc) to stay in as it's walking distance to most of the heritage sites. This is the cafe called Holiday, managed by Cafe Velodrome in Once Again. 



Mont Nom Sod is a milk and toast cafe. I stumbled upon the original store
near where I live. I had a custard egg and pandan spread toast. Their ingredients
are free of preservatives and they only buy from suppliers they trust.  


Here's a sketch while having local drip coffee at El Chiringuito: 


See my paintings of Bangkok here: 




------------ End of Post --------------

No comments:

Post a Comment