Saturday, October 25, 2014

The Short Pose

The short pose can range anywhere from 30 seconds to 10 mins or even 15 mins long. Many of the positions are dynamic in nature, especially the shorter timed ones.  That's also when the models can hold poses that they cannot for the longer 2-hour, day or 3-week sessions.  

Why do I do them?

Being able to sketch these super yoga-like poses allows me to focus on what's important - the gesture or the line of action.  This is the basic foundation of any figurative work.  It keeps my drawings loose and I can churn out as many as 25 sketches per session! Good pencil mileage there!  The build-up of of all these short pose sessions will eventually help me in my artistic design of the human figure. Gestures are empirical and not mathematical. You get better but doing more of them! 

Here are some of my recent studies: 

2 mins with a china marker

5 mins each with a china marker

10 mins with ink

1 min with a china marker

5 mins with a china marker

min with a china marker


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -


If you are interested in getting my sketchbook of short poses, Figuring Out - the long and short of it, the link is right here:
https://www.booksactuallyshop.com/products/figuring-out-the-long-and-short-of-it

No comments:

Post a Comment