Sunday, September 7, 2014

Salmon on a Roll: Process

Here are the steps to a recent oil piece I did which completes the series of sushi studies. I took awhile to figure out the composition of this piece as I wanted it to complement the other 2.  I used a basic palette of: white, lemon yellow, yellow ochre, raw umber, cad orange, cad red (Old Holland), viridian green, cerulean blue and black. (All Winsor and Newton, except for cad red and orange which are Old Holland). I begin with a brown campitura. 

Drawing using raw umber and blocking in of the white shapes.


Blocking in of the rest of the shapes, and creating a basic gradient for the background.


 Adding gradients to give form or 3-dimensionality to the various individual shapes.


Working on the details only at the very last stage.



Check out these links to the other pieces in the series:

Give me Salmon (1/3) 

It's your Tuna! (2/3)

No comments:

Post a Comment